Wednesday, May 30, 2012

My Transformation...My Testimony

Hello all...my name is Mark G.

I see what my boy is doing here, and I wanted to share my story with all of you. I know that a lot of people out there are broken. I want to give you guys my testimony...my transformation and tell you guys how good my God is.

To start I want to give you guys a little background. I grew up in the apostolic pentecostal faith. The denomination that I grew up in is UPCI and yes I am white. I am 65 years old, and I grew up in a very holy and sanctified house, but a very "interesting" house.

I grew up wanting to be an entrepreneur...but my family are all educators, scientist, and great thinkers. I was always one to do what my family wanted me to do...I spent 30 years of my life living in their shadow, and I was so happy being there. I doubled majored in mechanical engineering, and biomedical engineering.

Yes people I am a freak of nature like that...and even though I was good at it I was never really into it. I was doing it because I needed something to do, and my family was pushing for it. I only ever wanted to make them happy.

Funny thing is that as long as I lived how they felt I should I was ok, but the first sign of me doing my own thing I was treated like an animal. I am a great poet, and would go to poerty jams. Of course that was seen as a waste of time, and all my poetry friends were of the devil.

When I graduated I cut off ties with them, because I felt it was the right thing to do. I did it for my family. I always just believed what they believed told me...it was easier than thinking for myself. I didn't have a lot of faith in myself, and my family seemed so sure.

If they went left so did I; if they went right so did I. It was an "interesting" existence to say the least.

Long story short I was still doing what they wanted, when they wanted. There was this girl that I met that blew my mind in graduate school. She became my best friend and my lover. The two years we spent together was my most craziest ever.

I love her so much. But my family didn't like her because she was part of my poetry crew and they felt they were no good. I kept trying to get away from her, but she was always in my life. Here was this girl that was radical in everything that she did.

From how she talked about life, her dreams, goals, God, and everything else. She is like a bohemian flower child.

Long story short I kept her at arms length...I felt I had to...I know it made my family happy to know that she wasn't in my life, but I wanted her in my life. Yes a grown man like me was being manipulated as if I was still a child.

Now I was like this for a year and change. It wasn't until I got into a car accident and my life was almost taken from me that my eyes opened. Here I am living life playing it safe, and my life was almost taken from me.

I was in a coma for a month, and my neck and back were broken. It took me 8 weeks to heal, and get back on my feet. When I did I had a new attitude. I was so scared before, and followed someone elses lead.

From that point on I took my life into my hands. Now 35 years later I have 3 business that turn out over $10,000,000 a year. I have the freedom to do all the things I want to, and help all those I want. I also have the free time to do my poetry, and it turns out I am very good.

I just got published and it is doing fairly well. Not that I need the money or fame, but I love sharing my art. My family still feels like I am wasting my time, though they have no problem cashing my checks, and taking my gifts. :-)

I am married to that woman now for 35 years, and we have 3 great children. All of my kids are married. One of them is gay and he was so scared to tell me that he even tried to commit suicide. When all was said and done, he is now happy and healthy married to a great guy, that I am proud to call son.

My life is so much better. And it all stemmed from an accident. God had to get my attention, and honestly I almost took that accident to mean I need to go even more into the way I used to be, but the proof is in the pudding.

My life is a true example and joy. I had to just live and hold nothing back, and everything that scared me...everything that made me feel sick and bad and painful (not drugs and stuff like that of course) I went out and did.

I started going back to poetry nights...I performed more and more. I got back with my girl (now wife) even though we never really broke up. Long story. :-)

I quit from my job, started my businesses, got a passport, and the rest is history. I just want all of you to go out and live a life you choose. God is on your side. Trust who you are and don't let others tell you different. Read and study the word for yourself, and develop a relationship. Really go in and study.

I love you all.

Mark G.

No comments:

Post a Comment