Saturday, July 7, 2012

Living Proof

So I went to the library today to get some work done, and there were these two elderly ladies trying to get in. I helped them of course, and I started a conversation.

I only meant for it to last a few minutes, but then they really got in. It wasn't long before they told me they have been around to since the millennium.

I has to sit down and think about what that meant. These two women were both born in the year 1900. One lady was born a slave and another was in the next plantation as a slave owner...I should say she was born to be a slave owner.

They told me about the Great Depression, and WWI and WWII. They told me about the Vietnam War, Korean War, and every other war that was happening. They told me about the Iron Curtain falling down, communism falling, countries claiming their independence, and scientific, medical, and social improvements.

They told me about the 50s, 60s, and 70s. Jazz, Rock, Pop, and more. They told me how church has evolved, but is still behind the times. They told me about the corruption in the world, but also the beauty and majesty of the world.

They told me of miracles...

They told me of the children they have had, and great-great-great-great grandchildren they have seen and watched grow up.

They told me about slavery and what it was like back then. That the movies only touch on it so much. They tell me of Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X, Medgar Evers, Mother Teresa, Ghandi, and more great leaders. They tell me John F. Kennedy.

They tell me how they fought slavery, they fought against segregation, Jim Crow, and for women's rights. They tell me about the times they have been arrested and how their lives were put in danger.

They spoke on how they met, and how a bond was formed that would never die.

They spoke of the love they shared over the years, and the privileges they have experienced. The white sage (decided to call them sages because of the knowledge and stories they were giving me) told me of her time on the titanic.

The black sage told me of her time being raped by her slave master and the sons of her slave masters. The white sage told me of how she was treated like property herself just in different ways.

These women have been through so much, but they have told me that they wouldn't change it for the world. They have traveled the world together, supported each other, helped people, and done amazing things.

They couldn't stop talking about how happy and proud they are that there is a black president.

They said every new area they ever journeyed to was a chance to shape their soul...that the key to life even at 112 years old is to never stop growing and never stop changing. If they had they wouldn't have made it out of their teen years.

They then asked me my story, and it was so much easier and faster to tell them. I mean I am only 26...compared to them I haven't even lived yet.

I was totally honest about everything. I thought they would have something to say especially about my sexuality and they did. They were supportive and told me they have seen it all. They lived in times when it was just a way of life, to people attacking it, to everything else.

They both told me that one thing they have learned is that God can and will do all things. They said that no matter what it is that I am feeling or concerened about it, that it will get better.

They said that they have seen and heard it all. Everything that we take advantage of now was once seen as extreme, wrong, ungodly, and all other words. Their words of advice to me is to never say never and always be changing and growing.

Never accept the status quo...because it is always changing.

All this talk really inspired me. I also feel that I have to let Van know how I feel. I am not sure if I will tell him everything, but I will share it with you guys, and also send him a message that is a more scaled down version.

Look forward to me coming out and just letting it all hang out on the next post, and hopefully I can give you more great news on the business front.

TTYL...stay cool and dry!!!

J-Bo


No comments:

Post a Comment