Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Proven Wrong

So here I am sitting waiting for this library to open and I have to admit something. I have been proven wrong.

It happens from time to time...we are human after all and not perfect. That isn't the problem.

I am talking about singing styles and genres.

Van and I would always argue about what my voice could and could not do. He felt classical, broadway, R&B/soul, and gospel was where my voice belonged.

I believed there was no genre that I could not engage in.

So how did I get proved wrong...well I did a studio session last night. Someone was looking for a male singer, and the song they wanted me to sing was a demo for a pop artist. So they wanted me to do all sorts of things that to be honest felt like my voice was losing color, character, and soul.

It was a disaster...I felt like shit to be honest.

So I asked if I could have 15 minutes and do the song the way I feel it and then we can go from there. They said yes.

IT WAS SO MUCH BETTER!!!!

What it sounded like to me was a more soulful, real, honest, and true. They loved it too. They said they are going to pitch it to more artist now cause my delivery opened up some avenues.

So Van was right. I maybe able to play and have fun in other genres, but I gotta be honest and stay true to the fact that I am who I am.

The story of my life is be who you are, no matter what happens and who has a problem. Goes for my voice as well.

So now I know better of the direction to take my career. :-)

Now back to work...need 2 days of solid sleep!!!!! ;-)

J-Bo

No comments:

Post a Comment