Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Does Mediation Have a Place In A Christian Home??

Before I begin I want to say that I am so proud that today my nephew and youngest brother voted for the first time today. I am very proud of them...it's the little things that mean the most. :-)

I do believe that mediation should be part of any and all those who call themselves Christians. Below you will find some verses in the bible that talks about meditation.

11 total.

I have all sorts of proof and data that shows that Christians used mediation on the regular in the past, but it of course fell out of practice as the years went on.

It didn't help that all the mediation has gotten a bad rap, and people forgot that it was a practice we all used to do and not just those of eastern based religions.

So now mediation has this bad rap for being satanic, and evil, when it really isn't. I mean it is as clear as day, but then again from my dealings with Van it is easy to see that all because something is in the bible, it means very little.

No matter the proof and evidence and benefits ppl are going to be stuck because they are. That is what happens when followers are asked questions.

Meditation is not really focusing on things, and it is not prayer even though these do play a part. Some people think meditation is also contemplation and concentration, which it is not. Mediation is actually the process of quieting your mind and allowing yourself to get to a place of total quiet or pure consciousness.

In old Christian traditions this is the process of quieting everything else out so that we can get to that place of God speaking not into our minds, but into our hearts and spirits. It seems a bit wacky but it isn't. :-)

So many people are used to trying to hear God as a thought or a voice without realizing that it is usually our own thoughts and fears and desires speaking to us. Not to say that when we hear a voice it isn't God, but just that we have to pay attention, and figure out what is going.

I mean for example I asked God about these talks, and I heard it clear as day to do it, but it wasn't until I was in that quiet place that I realized that I have to take my time, and prepare myself cause this is going to be one hell of a fight. So I am on the right path, but I just have to have patience and not rush into things.

For example if I ask God a question on whether to go left or right, my brain is processing all sorts of information to make that answer for me. This is where science and spirituality meet and can make us better people and better Christians.

Anyway back on topic.

So I have started a daily meditation practice on God and who he is and just getting to that quiet still place. Of course that in conjunction with my daily prayer habit, and I feel so centered and at peace.

Scientific studies show that when you go into that space, and I guess the best way to describe it is the space between your thoughts, many wonderful things happen to you. Blood pressure goes down; heart rate goes down; immune system gets stumulated; hormones such as growth and also sex hormones increase; vision and hearing gets better; and in long term studies even wrinkles have been shown to go away.

So this is not a fad, but something that has been a tradition for most of us over the years, but it is a lost art.

I am happy to say that it is making a comeback. Of course most people don't know what it is and have all these negative associations about it...sad cause they are missing out on something God obviously wants us to do.

So you don't have to meditate if you don't want to, but I believe you are missing out on some great things if you don't. Just like praying is super beneficial.

For you science heads out there rest assured that mediation has been studied by medical and scientific professionals for over 30 years. The results have been documented, and if anyone wants to dig deeper and find them than you can. But believe me you will be astonished at what you find, and hopefully it will widen and shift your paradigms.

Just to give you guys a taste meditation is when 

There are a number of bible verses that speak on meditation or the need to meditate. Here are some of the ones that I could find...these are all NKJV verses:

  1. Joshua 1:8 This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. 
  2.  Psalms 19:14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart, Be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer.
  3. Pslams 1:2 But his delight is in the law of the Lord, And in His law he meditates day and night.
  4.  Psalm 119:15 I will meditate on Your precepts, And contemplate Your ways.
  5. Phillipians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. 
  6. Psalm 104:34 May my meditation be sweet to Him; I will be glad in the Lord. 
  7. Psalm 119:97 Oh, how I love Your law! It is my meditation all the day. 
  8. Psalm 49:3 My mouth shall speak wisdom, And the meditation of my heart shall give understanding. 
  9. Proverbs 4:20-22 My son, give attention to my words; Incline your ear to my sayings. Do not let them depart from your eyes; Keep them in the midst of your heart; For they are life to those who find them, And health to all their flesh. 
  10. Matthew 6:6 But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. 
  11. Isaiah 26:3 You will keep him in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on You, Because he trusts in You.
These are a few of the many that I have found. I think there are over 40 in total, and you guys can go and find them...it is not that hard. :-)

J-Bo

No comments:

Post a Comment