Friday, October 5, 2012

A new found sense of respect and pride...

Late last night I went to the hospital to go visit my friend in the hospital. No worries...I know I have been spending a lot of time in hospitals for ppl, but he is a neuro-surgeon.

So I went to go see him and we went to McDonald's for "breakfast" seeing how it was at 2am.

We talked about life, career, love, and God. It was a great conversation. He asked me about my life and I asked him about his.

He told me about some of his cases, no specifics, just some of what he had to deal with. I have new respect for this profession. I mean according to him it is an ego thing, but it really is rooted in a need to help and heal.

I believe him. I see what he has gone through...the fact he has so much more to go through. Van wants to go into this field, and at first I was worried not because he couldn't do it, but because I loved him so much that I didn't want him to go away from me.

But I realize now that I was being selfish. He has a calling...he has that inner drive that inner thing to become a great doctor. Whether or not he reaches international acclaim is all on him...but he will do great things.

1/2 way into our breakfast his fiance whom I have never met came to meet us. And guess what??? She is a musician and businesswoman. I mean she really felt like a kindred spirit to me. Not saying she is meant to be with me, but she reminds me of me...just as a female.

They work...they find a way to make it work, and they compliment each other. That was so nice to see...they made it known that it isn't easy but it is so worth it. They are both professionals, musicians, and christians in their own right.

While speaking to them, and hearing their stories of each other and professional/career stories separate and together I knew then that I was forever changed.

I always wanted to get into the health, wellness, fitness market because I knew there is so much money to be made. Probably the same reason so many become doctors, lawyers, and accountants.

But through my interactions with Van and other friends, and by changing my focus and openeing my horizons I see things differently.

Don't get me wrong I am still very much interested in this market/niche because of the vast sums of money spent. I believe that this market combined is about a $5 trillion market. Of course we spend the most as a nation and we have the worst health and wellness in the world.

Now I am not going to get started on that...just lemme say that I believe it is easier to make a change inside the system than out. I respect these professionals, but most of them have one-sided education. I know from talking with Van that even with proof another way works that can help heal and reverse many diseases without drugs or surgeries (the third most common form of death in the US) he said he wouldn't recommend it because not enough proof.

Now I have seen the proof and know it is out there, but he makes a valid point. To be honest if I owned a drug company on cancer drugs and medications, and knew that by a change in diet and nutrition could stop and reverse cancer I would be hesitant to let that info get to much light before I would try to shut it down.

Or at least I hope I would know better than that and do better, but money makes ppl do bad things, but I have better morals than that. I'd probably cause serious changes in the company and change the focus...I tend to be extreme that way.

Back to my point cause I felt myself going on a tangent. I do that...just ask Van...he says I talk too much and I do. Get that from my dad. :-)

So I have decided that I want to leave my mark on the world of medicine. Obviously not how someone like Ben Carson has done it, but behind the scenes. I want to work behind the scenes pushing forward the great minds, and being the support.

So I just have to find out how to do that. That means hospitals, medical trials, and more stuff. I do believe in a more holistic approach, but I also like the western approach. So I have to do what many are now doing and that is meld the western medicinal approach with the eastern approach.

I believe one without the other loses some effect and usefulness.

Two medical doctors that are widely respected by the western medical community are Dr. Deepak Chopra and Dr. Andrew Weil. There are many more, but these are my favorite. Minus some religious stuff they are based in sound facts.
  • http://www.drweil.com/
  • http://www.chopra.com/aboutdeepak
You can find more information on them and find that just about every medical, scientific, and psychological expert has respect for these two experts. Both were considered radical and too progressive. Two men I long to be like.

But I have to see how I am going to make this work. One of my mentors T. Boone Pickens (if you know who he is without googling I really like you...a lot), is in the energy secotr trying to push for natural gas...a much better and cleaner energy source and something that the US has so much more than anywhere else on the planet.

He is still fighting for it, and soon it will come across...it is just the oil and gas industry is fighting against it hard because their livlihoods and profits are tied to coal, and crude oil.

So drug companies, nutrition supplemental companies, books, medical equipment, and more. I have to talk to some more professionals and find out what is going on, but that is not a problem.

There is no reason as a nation we spend so much on health care, yet we have more health concerns and death than most other countries.

That is all...I am off to do some work, and get some work. Haven't been to sleep yet at all.

J-Bo

P.S. Dr. Mehmet Oz is also a man I respect very much. He is also doing what he can to meld traditional with contemporary and he is steeped in the Western Medical world.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mehmet_Oz

No comments:

Post a Comment